News

13-year-old arrested in teen’s murder charged with prior armed robbery


A 13-year-old boy charged with the second-degree murder of 15-year-old Jordon Carter last week allegedly robbed a pharmacy at gunpoint the day before the fatal shooting.

Carter was shot dead shortly before midnight on Jan. 19 in the underground parking area of an apartment building near Pape and Gamble avenues, according to police. Two firearms and ammunition were found at the scene.

The 13-year-old boy, whose identity is protected under the Youth Criminal Justice Act, was arrested and charged with second-degree murder the next day. He is one of the youngest people to be charged with murder in Toronto’s history.

On Monday, the 13-year-old was further charged with robbery with a firearm, disguise with intent and possession of stolen property over $5,000. Police responded to a call about a robbery at a pharmacy in the Dawes Road and Chapman Avenue area on Tuesday, Jan. 18. “A firearm was produced and narcotics were stolen,” a police press release issued Wednesday said.

The boy has been in custody at a youth detention facility since awaiting a bail hearing before a judge scheduled for Thursday. The evidence and arguments at the hearing are covered by a routine publication ban intended to protect an accused person’s right to a fair trial.

Those who knew Carter recall a vibrant teenager, who loved skateboarding and was known for helping young kids learn the ropes at the skate park.

“We are all hurting right now,” said Yash Presswalla, the executive director of Impact Skateboard Club, a non-profit youth-empowerment organization that helps youth with counselling, mentorship — and skateboarding skills.

“He would be chatting with (the kids) and making them feel cool at the park,” he said. “He is such a happy, positive, fun person to be around. He made everyone feel good. It’s so devastating that a person like that is gone.”

Evelyn Fox, founder of the group Community for Zero Violence, said it’s “appalling” that two children are involved in such a violent act. “I am beyond sad and enraged that this tragedy has occurred,” she said, pointing to a failure to address the crisis of gun violence.

Carter’s death is Toronto’s eighth homicide of the year, seven of which were a result of a shooting.

With files from Gilbert Ngabo.

JOIN THE CONVERSATION

Conversations are opinions of our readers and are subject to the Code of Conduct. The Star does not endorse these opinions.





Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.